Applying for a Republic of Guyana Passport
All nationals are urged to apply for the New Machine Readable Passport as soon as possible.
Should you have an emergency, kindly contact the office as soon as possible for assistance.
APPLYING FOR A NEW GUYANA PASSPORT
Guyana’s overseas missions have commenced the issuance of Machine Readable Passport (MRP), effective immediately. All Machine Readable Passports are issued in Guyana.
The processing time is approximately Ten Weeks.
Generally, you are required to have a passport with at least 6 months validity in addition to the time that you plan to spend outside of the United States.
Fill out an application. If you are unable to download the form, forms can be uplifted from the Guyana Consulate.
The applicant must present himself/herself personally at the Consulate when submitting the application or uplifting the passport. No authorization to drop off the passport is acceptable.
A) Children applying under the age of eighteen (18) years must be accompanied by their parents. In the absence of one of the parents, consent must be given by the absent parent in the form of a notarized affidavit. Other guardians are required to present documents proving their legal guardianship. Only original documents are accepted. Parents and or guardians are required to present a passport of themselves.
B) Applicant signatures: Sign in the rectangular box located in the upper right of page (2). Do not exceed or touch the borders. Also pages (3) section 6. Signatures must be consistent.
C) Change of name cannot be effected in the MRP. Applicants would need to apply for a new passport in the desired name.
What documents are needed? (ONLY ORIGINALS ARE ACCEPTED)
1. An accurately completed application form.
2. An original Birth Certificate together with (if applicable):
▪ Registered Deed Poll
▪ Change of Name Certificate
▪Certificate of Descent
▪Naturalization or Registration Certificate
▪Husband’s Birth Certificate
▪Affidavit of Identity
▪Decree Absolute Certificate
▪Certificate of Adoption
3. The previous passport
4. Cost: $100.00 US. Payable in Cash or Money Order made payable to the Consulate General of Guyana
5. Two (2) colored passport size photographs. (SPECIFICATIONS: No larger than 45×35 mm, No smaller than 32×26 mm) and must have been taken within the last 6 months.
Requirements for Passport Pictures
All passport pictures must pass the following guidelines before being accepted.
▪ Dimensions of the finished photo are correct(minimum 32x26mm, maximum 45x35mm).
▪ Clarity and contrast are correct, proper exposure (no washout).
▪ No shadows or glare from improper lighting, glasses or jewelry.
▪ Background is plain white (no color or shadows).
▪ Neutral expression (No smile, open mouth or frown).
▪ Both photos are identical
▪ No head piece or hair covering (with the exception of those worn for religious purposes& only if the full facial features are clearly visible).
▪ No sunglasses.
▪ Eyes, Ears, Full Facial Features are clearly visible.
▪ Studs/Earring/s not accepted on male applicants pictures.
▪ No glare/shine.
▪ Must be fully/properly dressed.
Persons Accepted as Recommenders: (AMERICAN OR GUYANESE)
Lawyer/Notary Public/Justice of Peace
– Section (7) of the application form must be completed and signed by the Recommender;
– The Recommender must know the applicant for at least two (2) years;
– The Recommender must place his/her official stamp and phone number on the application form
Guideline for Lost or Damaged Passports:
Applicant is required to submit a notarized affidavit stating the circumstances how the passport was damaged, in addition to all of the above stated requirements for a MRP.
a) Applicant is required to report the loss to the nearest police station as soon as possible and obtain a copy of the report.
b) Submit a notarized affidavit stating the circumstances how the passport was lost.
c) Completed application form with all necessary requirements as stated for the MRP.
The cost to replace a damaged/lost passport is $175.00 US. Cash or Money Order made payable to the Consulate General of Guyana.
P.S. A PASSPORT/VISA/P.R. OR CITIZEN CARD IS REQUIRED TO RE-ENTER the United States.